If my water becomes discolored, what can I do about it?
On occasion you may find that the tap water or water supply to your home has become discolored and rusty-brown in appearance. In almost all cases, this is the result of rust and iron scale buildup in the water mains which loosens and becomes dispersed in the water supply. The Water Utility addresses iron scale build-up and potential "red water" by routinely flushing the water system.

If you experience "rusty water" at a time other than when the Water Utility is doing routine hydrant flushing, you should 'run' your tap water for a period of about 5 minutes. If water is still discolored, wait about 15 to 20 minutes and again 'run' your tap water for another 5 minutes. In most cases, this routine repeated two or three times will usually clear up the water discoloration. If it does not, you should then call the Water Utility and a person will be dispatched to take corrective action.

Show All Answers

1. Water and Wastewater emergency contact information
2. When are water & wastewater services billed?
3. What is the typical water bill for Village of Grafton residents?
4. What options are available for payment of Utility bills?
5. What are the ‘flat charges’ on my water bill?
6. Where can I pay my water bill?
7. How do my water & sewer rates compare with other Wisconsin communities?
8. Does Grafton have any summer sprinkling restrictions?
9. How do I get help from the W/WW Utility after hours or on weekends?
10. What is the hardness level of Grafton’s water, and do I need a water softener?
11. How does one check for “water leaks” in the house?
12. What should I do if my sewer ‘backs-up’?
13. How do I know my water is safe to drink?
14. Why is my drinking water cloudy at times?
15. If my water becomes discolored, what can I do about it?
16. What is the oily film in my water when I make coffee?