What should I do if my sewer ‘backs-up’?

If you experience a back-up of sewage into your basement, your first step should be to stop using water and then immediately contact the Water & Wastewater Utility at 375-5330. Utility personnel are available Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM and can also be dispatched during off hours and on weekends. Utility personnel will typically determine the general location of the problem and what corrective efforts are required. If a sewer obstruction is identified as being in the street/public sewer main, the Utility will quickly correct the situation. If the sewer obstruction is identified to be between the home and the sewer main connection, the customer or property owner will be advised of his/her responsibility for this matter. In this case it typically involves a need for sewer lateral maintenance or repair.

Show All Answers

1. Water and Wastewater emergency contact information
2. When are water & wastewater services billed?
3. What is the typical water bill for Village of Grafton residents?
4. What options are available for payment of Utility bills?
5. What are the ‘flat charges’ on my water bill?
6. Where can I pay my water bill?
7. How do my water & sewer rates compare with other Wisconsin communities?
8. Does Grafton have any summer sprinkling restrictions?
9. How do I get help from the W/WW Utility after hours or on weekends?
10. What is the hardness level of Grafton’s water, and do I need a water softener?
11. How does one check for “water leaks” in the house?
12. What should I do if my sewer ‘backs-up’?
13. How do I know my water is safe to drink?
14. Why is my drinking water cloudy at times?
15. If my water becomes discolored, what can I do about it?
16. What is the oily film in my water when I make coffee?