Right-of-Way Bonds

Purpose and Scope

The Grafton Village Board adopted regulations for the repair and replacement of public sidewalks within the Village limits in 2001. The construction and maintenance of public sidewalks is the responsibility of the abutting property owner. It is the duty of the abutting property owner to build, repair, construct and perpetually maintain sidewalks along or upon any street in the village and to pay the entire costs thereof, except as indicated below. 

As part of the Village of Grafton Sidewalk Replacement Program, the Village replaces existing concrete sidewalk that poses a trip hazard based upon specific review criteria. There is no cost to the property owner for sidewalk replacement work completed within the scope of the Sidewalk Replacement Program.

Right-of-Way Damaged During Construction

Sidewalks and/or other areas in the right-of-way that are damaged as a result of construction activities are covered under the right-of-way bond provisions. 

Sidewalks that are damaged as a result of construction activities are not a part of or repaired under the Village of Grafton Sidewalk Replacement Program.

Building Projects Requiring Right-of-Way Bonds

Right-of-way bonds are required for all projects where the potential for damage to public property within the right-of-way (sidewalk, curb, gutter, etc.) is probable as a result of construction related activities. The Director of Public Works makes determinations of the potential for damage to a public right-of-way.

Bond Amounts

The right-of-way bond amount is $2,000. 

Bond Forms

The actual bond may take one of the following forms: Bank bond, letter of credit, certified check, company check, or personal check.

Bond Posting

The right-of-way bond shall be posted at the time a building permit is obtained. Bonds are posted at the Inspection Department as a courtesy and efficiency for building permit applicants and the Department of Public Works.

The Inspection Department collects the right-of-way bonds for construction projects, it does not have any other connection or involvement with right-of-way bonds.

Administration, Maintenance, Inspection, Repair, Replacement, Procedures, Or The Release Of Right-of-Way Bonds

If you have questions concerning the: administration, maintenance, inspection, repair, replacement, procedures, or the release of right-of-way bonds, please contact the Village of Grafton Department of Public Works directly at 262-375-5325.